Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Buffalo66

I do not drink alcohol. I stopped when he began to wean himself down in earnest.
It is not a sacrifice for me, I dont need to be running around spending money on alcohol, I can be social without it.
He told me that in rehab, they asked them to check in w SOs, to see if they planned on drinking when he came out. I told him I would refrain.
He did not TELL me to, but, I know it would be an issue.

Now, What if I want to have a cocktail with my girlfriends when he is not around? He says he would be fine with that. He does not want to smell it reeking on me, does not want to deal with me falling down. That would never be a problem, but...
Whatever.
It is a LEGAL drug in our country, but it is a mind altering substance.

I do look at it this way: if I had an addiction to heroin, if I almost lost my life to it, both literally and figuratively, and I went through a program, kicked the drug, was trying to stay sober, was going to meetings...How would I feel if he came home from a friends house high on heroin?

many couples struggle with cigarettes the same way, and if one quits, often the other will follow suit.

I dont think it is a big give, and my career has put me in many drinking environments.

If I was 25, or even 30, I may feel differently, but I am 40, so...I dont think it needs to be in my world that much anyway.

As far as a number of guys buying drinks for you, I think there were probably a couple of buttons pushed, there..Insult to injury kind of thing.

Just my experience and 2cents