Old 12-04-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Floss

Thanks Phoenix for an awesome thread. I needed something fun to distract myself today.

Okay, I live in Australia...(Jadmack...I'm gonna need your help!). Gonna is one of them (going to).

The Uncertainty already listed "No Worries" and her explanation of it is correct. We also say "No Wuckers" which means the same thing.

We do say "get pissed" for getting drunk, "I'm going up the the local (pub) and I'm gonna get pissed!" Or "he/she was sooo pissed". We also say "He/she was off their face!" (that means really drunk/stoned/high etc). Or we say "He/she was off their nut".

My dad knows says some old English rhyming slang. It used to be popular here but not so anymore. Only the oldies (old people) say stuff (things) like this now. For example "elephants trunk" (meaning drunk). And "septic tank" (sorry guys....a term for a "yank") The shortened version of the term we use (depending on what generation we're talking about) for our lovely friends from the Southern US is a shortened version of septic tank which is "sepos". As in "He/she is a sepo". I think that was an endearing term used by our Aussie soldiers to their US friends during WWII.

We laugh everytime we here this word used in shows/movies from the US. You say "fanny" for your rear end. We say it for the front end of a woman if you know what I mean. You say "faucet", we say "Tap".

We don't say "diaper/s". We say "nappy/ies". We say "dummy" for a "pacifier".

A lovely colloquial term is "Shove it up your arse" (we don't say ass). That means we're not happy with what the person said/did and we respond with this, lol.

Sometimes we take lines out of ads and use them too. A popular one in the last few years is "Not happy Jan!" We say that when we're not happy/disappointed etc. It was taken from a Yellow Pages ad (business directory) and the boss' employee forgot to place their ad in the Yellow Pages by the cut off date. The employee runs out of the building with the boss screaming out of the window "Not happy Jan!".

Another line out of an ad is "Claytons". Claytons is a non-alcoholic beverage. In the ad, it said something like "Claytons. The drink you have when you're not having a drink". Now we use "Clayton's" for everything. Like "He's her Clayton's boyfriend". "Yes, I have a 'Claytons' husband/wife". "He's my Claytons brother". etc etc. Claytons acts as a substitute for anything and everything...

Out of Muriels Wedding (an Aussie movie), there's a line that says "You're terrible Muriel!". The X-Gen in our country says that a lot when someone's done something funny/wrong..

Everyone knows "G'day" (which means good day or hello). And "mate" (used for a friend/acquaintance.

We also say "ta" for thankyou. We say "mum" not "mom". We always say "cuppa". As in "would you like a cuppa?" Or "I feel like a cuppa". A cuppa can be a cup of tea/coffee etc. We also say "brew" for a "cuppa tea".

When we ask our friends "do you wanna cuppa love?" They'll answer "yep or yes please". Then we say "How do ya have it?" They answer "White with one" or "White with two" etc (white with one is milk with one sugar)...

"I'm goin to the pub for a few scooies" (I'm going to the pub for a few schooners of beer). I'm in NSW and I know other states call schooners by different names. In Victoria, they say "Pot" for a schooner.

We don't say "soda" or "pop". We say "soft drink". We say "zed", not "z". We say "barbie" for BBQ. We say "He/she has the *****". "He/she is pissed off". That means he/she is angry.

We say "hot chips" for "fries" and "chips" for "crisps".

Arvo..afternoon
Bloody hell, bloody oath, bloody lovely.............(bloody...very. Bloody accentuates everything)
You've got buckleys.............You've got no chance
You've got buckleys and none...............You've got no bloody chance
Crack a fat..............get an erection
Fair Dinkum, for real.................It's true
Dunny.................toilet
Going off!..................That party is going off! The waves are going off! (as in awesome...etc) or
He/she was going off..................They were getting angry, losing it
Losing the plot/lost the plot...............Losing/ lost their mind
That's heaps good..............That's really good
Kick the bucket.............to die
That's a piece of pi**!..................that's easy, no worries....
He/she lives out the back of Bourke....................they live very far away, in the bush (outback) somewhere.
He/she is a bludger....................they do nothing, they bludge (mooch I think you call it in the US)
He/she is a dole bludger.................they do nothing and get government hand-outs..'the dole'.
I'm bored ********...................I'm bored out of my mind
I'm gonna get some take-away.............Going to the bottlo/bottleshop/liqueur shop and buy some booze (alcohol) and take it home, to a party etc.
He's built like a brick shi* house....He's a big man.
Fella..............man
Sheila................woman
Tally, we also say "tight arse"...............or "short arms deep pockets" for someone who is very stingy...
Phoenix, if we said "coon" here, we'd get out heads bashed in. It's a derogatory word for our aboriginal folk (Kooris).
Budgie smugglers....................Speedos, those tight swimming cossies some men where to the beach. lol.
Shove it up your clacker........................up your arse
Coit.....................another term for the ring-hole

Dag. You're such a dag!......................A funny person, a larrikin.
Bring the esky!..................a rectangle thing we keep our lagers in to keep them cold
Rack off!..................**** off, f**k off.
Ugg boots (uggies)...................sheep skin boots that keep us warm in winter.
Flanno......................checked brushed cotton shirt that 'westies' wear but are sorta popular with everyone including surfies (surfers).
Westy.............someone who lives out west, in the bush, western suburbs, still living in the 80's with mullets, uggies and flannos. hillbillies and inbreds etc.
Bogan......................same thing but what the Victorians call westies...
That's as useful as **** on a bull...................That's useless
You've got to be kiddin' me!................You're bullshitting me, you're joking...
Thingo...................whatchamacallit.
They've gone troppo!..............they've lost their mind.

Okay, that's enough for now. Too funny.....