Old 12-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Poohfanlbv

Thank you all so much for responding...Here is the latest update...hope I'm doing the right thing...

So my RABF started to text me the other day. Since our initial talk and after posting on here, I thought long and hard about how to handle our situation. I decided to give him space and step back and wait for him to contact me. I did send him a gift I had bought for him for his sobriety birthday...I celebrate it every month because early on when we met he told me that this was the best way to support him...celebrate the milestones with him.

So, he called me after his meeting and we chatted for quite a while. He kept telling me about how strong his feelings are for me. I thanked him and tried to steer the conversation away from our relationship. He told me how much he has missed talking to me every day and how hard it has been for him the past week not speaking with me or hearing from me. I reminded him that I will always be here for him and that he was welcome to call me anytime. He told me a couple of times that I could call him whenever I wanted and maybe I am reading way too much into it, but I could not help but feel that he was asking me to call him more and reach out to him. As hard as it is, I am not calling him or texting him and have decided that the best thing I can do is to give him space...let him sort things out for himself...and be there if he needs me. But I am waiting for him to reach out to me and I am not calling or texting him. Is he reaching out for help? Do I continue to give the kind of space I have been giving him? Or do I call and check in on him?

I feel great about giving myself the space to heal and adjust to all this. I feel great that I am still able to be there to support his recovery. My fear is in trying to find the balance and either pushing him away or putting pressure on him or making him uncomfortable. So, I guess my question today is...Am I doing the right thing or is there something maybe I could be doing different to be a better support to him?

Thank you all for being so kind and responding. I appreciate the help as I adjust to this situation and try to do the right thing.