Thread: New and nervous
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Isaiah
Dismember

Hey Biza,

Welcome to SR. Glad you decided to take a step in coming here, we're glad to have you.

With little exception everyone comes to this forum saying they don't know what to do. Two years ago that was me as well. I couldn't understand drinking and I couldn't understand not drinking. I had a million questions and not a lot of answers. I'm sorry you're in a tough spot, but I can assure you that you're not alone with this, and you are on the right direction already.

In the beginning it basically comes down to not falling for our own "just one to take the edge off" myths. And it's tough, because the addiction/problem makes us desperate and not too smart. There are a lot of ways people get past that. Some remind themselves of the last time they drank and how it didn't work. I myself used the trick of just saying "for the next hour, I'm going to get by without a drink" and repeated that until I was okay. There's even more than that.

Hope you'll hang around with us. If you need guidance or just some positive cheers, we're here for that.

-Isa