View Single Post
Old 07-22-2004, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Moontime

Pink!! Welcome, I'm Moontime and I'm an addict. Your post was awesome and made me realize how glad I am to belong to Narcotics Anonymous. Getting introduced to the rooms, the program of NA, is the blessing. Addicts dieing everyday, not knowing that the feelings and cravings pass, that there is another way of life. This program Promises that an addict, any addict can stop using, lose the desire to use and find a new way to live. I've found this to be true. I tried quitting/abstaining from drugs by myself over and over, for like the last 6 years of my active addiction. My same way of thinking kept me in the same frame of thought for those 6 years, nothing changed. Maybe I had a few months of abstinence but at the first sign of unmanageablility or peacefulness, I was off to the races using again. I didn't need excuse to use, as the saying goes; "I used when the Knicks won, when the Knicks lost and when the Knicks had off" I'm 100% Narcotics Anonymous, I found my higher power in these rooms, I don't need to go anywhere else to do so. All I ever wanted to do was stop freebasing cocaine, and I've gotten so much more. This program resurrected me from the dead, I wanted to die. It' has brought me into being a productive member of society, it's helped me build back relationships with the people I hurt the most. It's made me love myself, so I can tell someone else I love them without strings attached.. That was hard for me, all I ever wanted to do was manipulate you to get what I want, even if that was saying "I love you." I have this spiritual freedom that Bill Gates couldn't buy. I can see love in everything today. That wasn't always the case. The way I got this freedom was getting the best sponsor in the world. Meeting him once a week to go over step work, and calling him everyday. Calling at least 2 addicts other than my sponsor everday. I got involved with service. Service is my niche, most rewarding for me. I am the Vice-Chair of Hospitals and Institutions in the Piedmont Area of Narcotics Anonymous in Virginia, we carry the message to jails/treatment centers where people can't attend NA meetings. I am the GSR of a home group I started in our area 11pm -12am, Saturday Nights, Lost Dreams Awaken. I do the phone line on friday. I sponsor 4 men in my life, who teach me patience and tollerance. All these things I needed to do so, I'm not walking the path that I was walking, but I'm walking the path that my higher power has set for me. I love Narcotics Anonymous! That's my experience, strength and hope dealing with the disease of addiction through the program of Narcotics Anonymous.