View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
onlythetruth
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
I wanted to know if there is anyone out there that is actually less happy since they quit drinking? I assume the answer is no and would love to hear how much your lives have improved. Today is day 1 AGAIN for me. Drank last night.... I'll await your responses... Thanks!
No, I don't regret quitting; in fact I think it was the best decision I've ever made.

My life has improved immeasurably since I quit, and not just because the hangovers, guilt, cravings, jangling nerves, etc. are a thing of the past. The biggest reason is that being free of alcohol has allowed me to become the person I was meant to be. I remember when I was drinking, I'd put my makeup on in the morning without even looking at my own face, I was so ashamed. It isn't like that today. It's a cliche, I know, but I really CAN look myself in the mirror now.

As to happiness: I am much happier now than I was when I was drinking, but I am not always happy and I have had some very difficult times since I quit drinking. The difference is that since I quit, I am not bringing difficulties and unhappiness upon myself through drunken, idiotic behavior. The stuff I have to deal with now is normal life stuff that happens to people, and I've found that it is much easier to deal with that stuff with all of my faculties on board.

When I was drinking, it felt like I was navigating life with both hands tied behind my back, dragging an anvil after me!!

OTT