View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
LaFemme

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
Bam! LaFemme, I have had yet another revelation while reading one of your posts. (Where have you been all my life?)
Obviously the hand of God at work....bwahahahaha!

So I thought I'd share about my Thanksgiving experience. Like many people holidays with the family is a wonderful season of angst, anger, depression, hurt and food. In the past I dealt with it all by getting sloshed. So on the 8 hour drive south (normally only 4.5 hours) on Tuesday I had something of an epiphany. Now this is sort of spiritual so I apologize in advance, but here goes.

If (and I believe this) life is a learning experience where we are all students and teachers alike, then instead of letting myself get all upset about my family, I can look at it as a learning opportunity. For instance...after I do all the cooking, and everyone says they will clean the last of the dishes and then they don't...well in the past I would get upset and drink while I did the dishes myself. This time, I thought ok, what does this teach me...well, 1) I can say something...but I have in the past, and it doesn't register. 2) I could just leave the dishes, but I will need the sink in the morning to make my breakfast so that doesn't work either. Or 3) I can realize that in the relationships I choose for myself in the future I will not choose people who do not value me and what I do for them (while I do the dishes, and realize it will not always be this way). I love doing nice things for people, but it's nice to be appreciated too.

So that was my little holiday epiphany...and surviving Thanksgiving was a nice warm up for Christmas which is usually my least favorite holiday...I actually find myself looking forward to it a little this year.

xo, LaFemme!