View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Live

the wheat will always represent my grandmother to me...and this is the same symbol that is on her funeral memory card and I remember the message that went with it.

My grandparents ran a working farm. They didn't have pictures of decorative cows and rooster. They had a bay window and a field of cattle. They had chickens in the barn and grandma said the banties had the best eggs.
They wouldn't have used stripped down logs for furniture! They had their own sawmill and they did use their own lumber..but beautifully finished (I think that modern look of log cabins is very hokey!)...but they didn't fool around with routers and fancy spindles and turns either. Things were sturdy and functional.
Grandma didn't have time for needleworks and such either. She was raising 6 boys and feeding a family from scratch. They sat and read in the evenings. But they loved history, politics, current events. Those were her kin and boys in those wars.

She told me that when she was younger she lived in a log cabin and the indians would come to trade furs and such for salt & the like.

and on my grandfather's side...an ancestor had married and lived with the indians..so there was alot of lore there too.

also some exciting stuff about how my grandma's side had some Youngers and our family knew of some of that outlaw stuff.

If I was quiet I could sit beside my grandpa's chair and listen to the "men talk". I was always trying to peek behind his eye patch too, where one of the boys had run over him with a tractor or something.

They took a buggy to the World's Fair in St Louis.

and they never fussed at me..they thought I was a good girl and they let me be and I could run around, climb in the hayloft, sink the little boat in the creek..all those things I could never have done with my mom around.

So I am going to buy a couple of those panels and use them in a cupboard.
David wants to do some wood working.