Old 11-19-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

Not advice, an observation...

...and the tone of your response suggests you may be a little defensive about that. The very first thing I thought when I read your post was that you were too involved in the situation from too far away, that you were trying to control your girlfriends behavior in the guise of "helping and caring," and that the best thing you could do was simply detach from the situation completely and give it back to your friend.

I didn't post because I suspected you would respond to me just as you did here. It wasn't advice, it was the sharing of experience, strength, and hope.

Sometimes that hurts and sometimes it's offensive-- that doesn't make it wrong or invalid.

There are plenty of people I love and care deeply for who are doing dumb things. I care. I'm controlling and I want to interject myself in it. It's none of my business. I leave it alone because I know all I can do is support them as they deal with their business.

Take what you want and leave the rest.

Cyranoak

P.s. As somebody with controlling issues let me be overt in suggesting you have controlling issues. For most of us the issue is the actual drinker. For you the issue is the significant other of the actual drinker. In my opinion that's taking it up a notch.

Originally Posted by iheartsushi View Post
are you kidding me? that is your advice? to suggest I have controlling issues because I care deeply for my best friend? seriously?