View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sassyea

I dealt w/ alcoholism also as a young child. My mother drank a lot as a result of being a single mom with little support. My grandmother drank on weekends and holidays, uncles drank and I have one uncle who was a black sheep of the family who was addicted to crack cocaine so it is familiar.

As a young girl I swore I would never lead such a dysfunctional low class ghetto lifestyle. Now I know as an adult that addiction crosses all ethncities, cultures and socieconomic backgrounds.

I was the little caretaker w/ my mom and the family hero. I wanted to make it better for her and often felt guilty that her life was so messed up because she had the burden of taking care of me and my brother. I never, ever wanted that for my life or my children. So I got an education, a job and waited for the right man to come along get married and have children. Supposedly if I did it the right way I would be immune from all of this. Hahaha! Nope.

I feel even worse off because I supposedly did all the right things and I am still powerless