View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
I listened to an open talk by Sandy B from Florida. In the talk, he described how he basically GOT a job.......working in the White House.....because he admitted to being drummed out of the Marines for being a drunk. They hired him for the sole reason they thought it'd be nice to work with someone SOOO honest.

Ya know MN.... I told enough lies my whole life prior to getting sober to last a city a lifetime. While my drinking hurt me.......think thinking and my actions were killing me. I just could NOT stand "me" anymore. When I got sober, my AA sponsor talked a lot about this being an honest program, telling the truth, and so on. He'd say, if you want to get better you have to change.....and start not changing all your old bad habits.

I can still lie today......quite easily in fact.....I got darn good at it over 30+ years of practice. The problem comes later that day, or the next day, or the next week when my conscience is gnawing at me. As if that's not enough, everytime I hear my name called out by the person I lied to.....I freak out and figure "they finally caught me." I just don't want to live that way anymore. I've had good times (economically speaking) but been utterly miserable inside. Those times were far worse than being spiritually fit, truly joyous inside, and had little money at all to my name. Broke and happy is > wealthy and miserable.

Wow, typos all over that.....must be tired. ....and the magical 15minutes to edit are gone...

Cliff notes version: don't lie anymore....unless you like how it used to make you feel. I try and tell the truth all the time and when I catch myself having just lied.....I go right back and admit it. It's working for me and whatever penalties I've had because of it, I haven't even noticed them.