View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
TheEnd
High on Life

That's a tricky question.

You had 17 yrs vs. drinking 3/4 of a can of beer. This is one of those things where there really isn't a black or white, but rather shades of gray.

If you had like 7 days of sobriety and you drank 3/4 of a beer, I would say yeah you need to change it. The fact that you had 17 yrs of sobriety and drank 3/4 of beer, kind of puts me between a rock and a hard space.

On one hand, someone who sticks to the hard fast rule that even if you sip an alcoholic drink is subscribing to some sort of perfection in my book. And as humans we know none of us is perfect. So do people who go around saying that they have never had a sip of alcohol in 17 yrs think they are perfect or better than other people who may have had that sip. Just a thought that came to me.

On the another hand if you did change your sobriety date, you might educate people about how we really do live 24hrs at a time and no matter how much time we have, we are all still vulnerable to taking that drink. I know some people may disagree, because some people feel after they work the 12 steps that their desire to drink will be removed.

Whatever, that's not a debate I'm trying to get into

To me if I had 17 yrs of sobriety and I drank 3/4 of a can of beer, I probably would keep my original date if that 3/4 can of beer did not change my perception or view on what sobriety means to me, but that's just me.

I'm working my own program.......and people that have time to worry about my program, probably aren't spending enough time on their own program.