View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dwh1961

What really is a sobriety date?

I became sober on Dec. 5th 1993? I drank that day, but also stopped drinking that very day and went to my first AA meeting that day, And haven't had anything alcoholic to drink until recently.
I know people who are the program who drink near beer or so called non-alcoholic beer, and even though they have drank these they remain sober still, and in questioning them insist that their sobiety date stands.
Here's the thing. A month ago to this day (Oct. 16, 2010) I drank for the first time in nearly 17 years. I had approxiately 3/4 of a can of a 12 oz can of beer before deciding this was not a very good idea. I did not become intoxicated from this and haven't drank any since. But the very same people who drink the near beer regularly say that my one act has changed my actual sobriety date to 10/16/2010 while they remain firm that their use of near beer does not change their orginal date.
***Before I go any further - I would recommend *NOT* doing either - I believe you would be playing with fire to do so. So don't try this at Home or anywhere for that matter - I felt the desire to drink like I did when I first quit for about 2 weeks ( Not Physically, but Mentally - believe me it sucked ) during which time I even considered buying some near beer on several occiasions but substained from doing so.***
Now I know as a fact, that we all only have the 24 hr period we are living in now to claim as our sobriety, I would like to get some feedback on others thought about this matter.
Here's my question: What do you believe the Beginning sobriety date I use should be? and Do people who use near beer, Beginning Date change each time they drink a near bear? Please briefly explain your answer.