View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bucyn

Originally Posted by Rayn3dr0p View Post
I realize now that no contact means more than just not responding to text messages or answering when he calls. It means cutting off contact with anyone who is going to "fill you in on the details."

I don't need to know if he's doing better or worse, if he's drinking or seeking help, if he's dead or alive. That knowledge does not benefit me and more often than not it causes me pain. I need to focus on myself for a change. Hopefully, you will do the same and avoid getting sucked back in the the black hole.
I think this is excellent. No contact is one of the most empowering tools in regaining your life. If you fail at it today, start over right now. It will be just as powerful beginning this minute.

One thing my therapist had me do was to replace the worried/anxious thoughts with something positive and plausible. You can't just stop thinking about pink elephants, but if you start thinking about blue alligators, the pink elephants fade away.

You know he's probably on a bender, however, you don't know FOR SURE; perhaps he took the card and checked into a different facility. Imagine him there, being inprocessed, cared for, assigned a room, talking with caring professionals. Get that image into your head.

If you maintain the no contact policy, and never again get information to the contrary, that will be the image that leads your emotions. If you want to argue with yourself that it's not likely, remind yourself altho it's not likely, it's still POSSIBLE...and go with that. You actually don't know one way or another, and you are leaving yourself with an acceptable outcome rather than a 'cliffhanger'.

It's something that actually worked for me very well, so may be worth a try.