View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
julez
Grateful Member

Unhappy A mom with a problem...

Hello~
I am having an internal struggle that I hope someone can help me with. I have just started AA, and I am really excited about starting my step work. I've gotten to step 3, and I can honestly say that in regard to everything else, I am ready willing and able to turn my will and my life over to God. When I started this journey, it occurred to me that while I wanted help with my alcoholism, I also wanted that spiritual awakening, and the inner peace that the steps can bring me.
Basically, as I have spoken of before, I have a troubled teen daughter. She's in therapy, on medication, but is resistant to treatment in that the medications that have been tried on her, aren't really doing their job. We are still looking for her diagnosis, but it has already been established that she has PTSD.
I want to turn it over to God. I want to sit quietly and listen to His plan for her and her future. But I CAN'T. My mothering instincts are taking control. I worry to the point I'm sick. I'm exhausted trying to think of different ways to help her. As her mom, its my job to give her consequences, and try to control her behavior by setting limits. But isn't that going against Step 3? Wheres the happy medium? Is there one? Should I really accept the fact that she will be who she will be? Now let me tell you that all her school counselors, and her therapist have all said that I'm doing all I can, and that its up to her now to care about her future.
Sorry this is so long. I'm just a worried, confused mommy who loves her pain in the butt daughter. I need to work on myself, but by doing that, do I have to let her go??
Please help.