Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
acdirito

Dear jluebs you wrote "Anyways... he came to me again, saying that he messed up, and needed to detox again. So I agreed to help him through it. But this time he had just started a new job and could only do it over the weekend. So he stopped drinking Friday after work, and I spent the weekend with him detoxing. It was a lot easier for him this time. He had to go to work Monday morning, still with the shakes. I got a call from him later that night that he was in the hospital. He had had a seizure at work, and they called an ambulance. The doctor said he had grand mal seizures, and that he should see a neurologist. I asked if he told her that he had just quit drinking, he said yes. But I'm not sure if I believe that. He was put on a medication to help the seizures not come back, but he needed to see if he had a brain tumor or lesions that were causing the seizures. I was/am convinced it was because of the withdrawals."

I'm not going to give you any advice or recommendations. I'm only going to state what happened to me. I know medical doctors take grand mal seizures seriously. I suffered a grand mal seizure in April 2009. Grand mal seizures have two stages: the tonic phase, which tends to last about 10 to 20 seconds where loss of consciousness occurs, and the muscles suddenly contract and cause the person to fall down; and the clonic phase, where the muscles go into rhythmic contractions, alternately flexing and relaxing, with the convulsions uusually lasting for less than two minutes. My 35 year old son found me in front of my computer unconscious and convulsing. He called the EMT and I was taken by ambulance to the hospital. I ended up being hospitalized so the doctor could run all the necessary tests. My tests consisted of a neurological exam that tested my reflexes, muscle tone, muscle strength, sensory function, gait, posture, coordination and balance. I had blood tests taken to check for problems that could be causing or triggering the seizures. I, also, had an EEG and a MRI. They found nothing. However, after about a week I was released with a prescription for the anti-seizure medication and my driving privileges medically provoked. Most states have licensing restrictions for driving for people who have suffered seizures.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

*******************************:ghug3************* *****************