Old 11-08-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hollyanne

Hi Evenkeel,
Sorry for all this suffering in your family.
Try webmd. I find that site good. I would imagine here on SR, there would be a lot about it in Friends and Family forums.
I would say one thing that I know, I know nothing!
Everyone is different. I work in the med field and it is strange how things go.
That is why I was happy to see Lucy's posts addressing just that.
When he becomes unable to drink, he will heal a little. Up/down/up/down.
He may have bleeding. He has the CHF already. This is manageable but he is not cooperating, so that is moot. They may try to drain the fluid for comfort but it builds up again and he is prone to bleeding so not w/o risks and also the "fluid shift" of removing liters of fluid can be precarious. He may be denied entry to ICU as he is actively drinking. He may become unconscious and be treatable but he will just go back to the old drink. You may also look up liver cancer on the web as they are similar in end stages. Look up, end stage cirrhosis. Do not however get your MD by reading web furiously and stick to reputable sites. Be sensible about what people outside tell you. There may be restlessness/confusion/delirium. This would be very difficult to be around. I have had to ask family to step out as their anxiety can make their loved one worse. The best ones are the ones who can just come in, sit down and be calm. Also limit in/out/in/out as this bothers them also.

To your wife, I would just call her regularly and keep her informed. It is difficult being away during family crises and one can feel left out. Knowledge is power as they say. If you don't tell her what is going on, she will imagine it. Let her talk and just be nice I suppose. Let her have input and acknowledge any advice/opinions.
Try to organize a rota system for visits so nobody gets too tired.

Your FIL sounds like he would like to live (NA beer) but is too far in to make a change at this point.

Sorry for big rambling post.