Old 11-08-2010, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SteppingItUp
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Timebuster, that was awesome. Beautiful and powerful. Right on.

One of the things that I love so much about this compilation of ideas is how beautifully the concepts we find in recovery come together in their practice. Before NA, I thought the program was about being clean. I got clean not long before joining up with the fellowship, but it was when I realized that I didn't know how to live my life anymore that I humbled myself enough to seek help through the program. I thought it's where I could find life skills. What has blown me far back, what has come to completely humble me once again, is that this program is far greater than that. When we really learn to use what's right in front of our eyes, through the help of a sponsor who truly knows what they are doing with us, my experience shows me that I'm not trying to reach a level of the average bear. rather, by discovering and learning to live with spiritual principles in our hearts, when we are set free from resentments of the past, when we learn forgiveness, when we learn to use a level of faith that can supersede any fear, when we set out into the world to make amends wherever we have caused harm, when we learn about the power of the present, when we learn when we set out to help other addicts to get free and recover from the massively destructive and frequently fatal disease of addiction, when we live with courage, love, tolerance, a spirit of service, we have the opportunity to become spectacular human beings. Indeed, addicts are some of the most amazing people I have ever had the pleasure to know. We've come from the depths of darkness and we shine out with freedom, happiness, fellowship and a message. Lest we forget, we're living miracles.

This is a spiritual program, and those whom I have had the great fortune to find who honor the depth, beauty and simple perfection of it lead the kinds of lives I admire, respect and aspire to live myself. The 12 steps are a ladder to God as I understand God. Today I am alive, I am clean, I am grateful, I am happy, I am wiser, I am free. By continuing to work my program with my heart, with love, faith and gratitude beaming in my spirit, I know I will continue to grow as a spiritual human being -- and that my HP can help me to achieve all the good for which I am willing to put in the work. Huge hugs and endless blessings.

SIU