View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 04:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
tjp613

Hi LynnMarie - Bless your heart I am the mother of an addict and have had to make difficult choices, too, but my son only went to jail for about 24 hours. (He actually got some wisdom from that experience, talking to other drunks, and said it "wasn't that bad".) Believe it or not, some mothers PRAY that their child will get arrested so that they will be safe, learn something, and hopefully hit their bottom before they die from their disease.

I also realize, because I have been there, that allowing her to experience the consequences on her own (i.e., pain!) is the most counter-intuitive thing you have ever done and it hurts like hell. You are full of self-doubt as every fiber in your being wants to RUN down to that jail and get her out of there. You may even be getting criticism from family members or friends that make you feel like a "bad mother". But thankfully you have SR and I hope you're attending Al-anon or some other parent support group.

You are absolutely doing the right thing. I don't suggest you take her calls, but if you must, be prepared for the most creative, dramatic manipulative tactics you have ever heard EVER! So...it's really just easiest not to take the calls...serving a dual purpose.

God, I know how hard this is. I'm so sorry you are going thru this.