View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((SereniTee)))))

When I was at 5 months of being sober and clean, if there had been someone in my life or living with me that continued to use drugs and drink until they puked THEY WOULD HAVE HAD TO GO.

One of the first things I heard in AA was:

"No major changes in the first year of recovery UNLESS THE PERSON PLACE OR THING WAS OR COULD AFFECT MY SOBRIETY."

That of course included my job, my living arrangements and anyone I was involved in with a relationship.

I took that first year and WORKED ON ME. I am so grateful I did. At 18 months, I married a 'sober' alcoholic (boy was that a mistake) who unbeknown to me had changed his addiction to gambling, sheesh. At a little over 5 years in I divorced him and spent the next 3 years alone, living with ME, learning to LOVE me, learning to LIKE me, and it was great.

I too, like DeVon:

Today I won't settle for less than I deserve. I'd rather be alone than to share a bed with an active addict and/or alcoholic or any dysfunctional man for that matter.
I am coming up on 29 1/2 years sober and clean, and can honestly tell you that you DESERVE much much better than the EXABF!!!!!

Congrats on your 5 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is quite an accomplishment.

Please, never, and I do mean NEVER (even though it is normally wise to 'never say never', rofl) feel guilt about PROTECTING your recovery and peace and serenity!!!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,