Old 11-03-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
craven

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
The first is that I highly recommend you go to six or more in-person Al-Anon meetings in the next two weeks. If you don't like one you've attended, try another. Sometimes people use these forums to avoid having to see people face-to-face or because they are isolated or isolating. I'm not saying you are doing this, but I can say that in my experience there is something to be experienced at an in-person meeting that simply can't be matched online. I see value in both in-person meetings and on-line forums-- together they are very powerful. Alone they help, but not at the same level.
I hope I did that quote thing the right way! Anyway, Cyranoak, I am going to respond to your five things. Thank you, by the way. While I am very nervous to go to Alanon, I am going to go. I actually have experience with Alanon. I dated a guy who was an everything abuser (alcohol, pills, cocaine, crack). We only dated for 5 months- he went to rehab and was only out for about 2 months before he relapsed. I kicked him out of my apartment and out of my life. While we were dating, I attended 4 or 5 alanon meetings. For the first few I kept quiet and just listened. By the 4th or 5th meeting I decided to speak up and immediately broke down!! So cathartic. I probably should've kept going to the meetings after we broke up... I obviously have a pattern of dating dudes with addiction issues... GREAT! I'm so thankful that I can see it now.