View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ThatLittleGirl
ThatLittleGirl

Advice Please!!!

So, for the past month my exah has been living in the same town as me and my twin daughters. He lives with his parents, and I live with mine. I have allowed him to spend time with the girls...but only if me or his parents are at the house...and he is never to drive them anywhere. And everyone has abided by my requests. I have been OK with this arrangement until recently. He is still on my medical insurance as that is what we agreed to during the divorce; next year he will be responsible for his own insurance coverage. As he is on my insurance, I receive EOB's, etc...for his doctor's visits, etc... I have noticed what appears to be doctor shopping... I looked at his prescription history and can see what I feel is abuse...but apparently, my insurance company has approved and paid for all his drugs and doctors' services.

Here's my issue. Am I at risk of negligence where the girls are concerned? Meaning, is my letting them spend time with someone who I believe to be an active addict negligent on my part? I know I have safeguards in place as me or his parents are there at all times...but still...I feel guilty thinking I let them be around an active drug user.

I have mentioned to him in the past that I have documentation that totally supports my claim that he is an active drug user (which I do)... All he ever tells me is that I am just a liable as he is because I knew about it, and I did nothing...so I'm basically an accomplice. Is this correct? And if it is, do I have an obligation to report him now? And what is my obligation to my precious daughters?

I know that I am not to "force" a rock bottom for him...so I have stayed silent and not confronted him or said a word about what I am seeing...letting him make his own bed. I have tried to allow my daughters time with him because they truly love him...but as I see more and more, I'm becoming uncomfortable even with the safeguards. Just the idea they are spending time in the company of someone actively using bothers me now (even though at 4 1/2, they would have no idea). I'm trying to "check" myself to make sure that I'm not trying to be vindictive or force his downfall so-to-speak. It's all so emotional...and the situation feels so confusing. I want to do the right thing for my daughters first and foremost. Just wondering if anyone on here has any insight or advice...I would truly appreciate it!!!!