View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  
caribbean
Drunk in Recovery

Good morning everyone!

tjp, thanks for sharing your story about your slip. So, when are you going to a meeting next? And let's get this sponsor thing figured out, eh? Is there anything we can do to help encourage you?

sarah78, good for you for committing to getting help. A women's meeting is one way to go. Men are NOT supposed to do that, especially with newcomers, but it happens -- do NOT let it keep you from going to meetings. If necessary for the future, or if you run into this guy again, set a clear boundary with him. It's perfectly OK to say something like "I appreciate your interest in my recovery. I'm here to focus on that. I don't want to be rude, but it would help me if you could leave me alone for now." You can even ask for help from other women in the group to help "protect" you from this guy if that's not something you are comfortable with.

deeCelt -- congrats on your 30! I just had mine, too. It's OK to vent, but remember that people are at very different places in their recovery, and sometimes they may just be venting the same as you. Or they may not have the wisdom, experience, or support that you do to reach the same place yet. Maybe you were never where they were, but the experiences you posted that you call "rubbish" are not uncommon. Not everyone who needs help knows exactly how to ask for it, nor what it looks like when it arrives.

You mentioned that stopping was hard, living without alcohol was easy. For lots of younger people or others early in their drinking "careers", it is quite often the other way around -- maybe it is this difference that makes you frustrated with what others are sharing? There are posts that push my buttons a bit, too. I either ignore them or think about how I can try to help, whether or not I actually succeed.

]Moo Moos -- thanks for asking! I have been out of town since Wednesday, returning home next week. I have been busy with a conference and not able to go to many AA meetings, but it's been fine. 30 days came and went yesterday; I was so tired I barely remembered. Alcohol and drunk people are everywhere here, but I haven't found myself tempted or distracted by it -- probably helps that other attendees at my event are more health-conscious rather than big drinkers, so the people I'm with aren't the ones partying. I thought airports might be a challenge -- toward the end I drank a lot when I was travelling, but then I drank a lot pretty much on any occasion anywhere. No problem there, either. I feel incredibly blessed by how relatively easy my first and only attempt at recovery has been. I credit AA, the 12 steps, and the fellowship of other alcoholics (in person and here online) with my success. And I am so relieved!!

Happy Sunday everyone.