Thread: Here goes
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

AndSoItGoes.

Yes, I agree with the posters above, it would be good for you to learn your rights and learn what kind of settlements are customary in the courts in your locale. Divorce typically means you separate the assets, not he gets everything and you get nothing.

As for the house, it is true that women typically want to keep the house for sentimental reasons. I am not a lawyer but I would advise you to try to follow at least this rule: Do not allow your feelings and emotions to dictate your financial decisions. Try to start thinking of your marriage as primarily a financial relationship. Start thinking of yourself as a smart businessperson instead of "his wife." But don't let yourself get so hyperfocused on the money that you start to live in opposition to what are your true values. Aim for balance between the two.

Your entire post describes my Dad. I personally think 27 years is enough. My parents are married now 50 years and I can assure you, the person you are married to will only get worse. MUCH worse.

I am glad Jadmack chimed in because I know she has been through what you are going through. I agree, let your kids figure it out on their own. They will.

If you haven't gone to Al-Anon yet, I strongly suggest it. Something I learned there that has helped me immensely and seems would help you too:

Let Go and Let God.