Thread: Here goes
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 11:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
andsoitgoes

Here goes

This is my first post. I have an AH, been married for 27yrs, he has been drunk virtually every night of the marriage, drinks 10-15 beers a night.
He knows I don't like the idea, but ah, what the heck. He is a really nice fella, never violent or abusive, but does sulk at times (especially when chastised about his drinking), he also does his fair share around the house, and is intelligent with a good job.
He doesn't sound too bad, but after 27yrs, I have had an absolute gutfull. He used to have heaps of friends, but now he just sits alone, out the back and drinks and drinks and drinks. He has acknowledged in the past that he has a problem, but of course nothing is done to solve it.
I have ALWAYS been depressed about his drinking, but after an incident last year, he broke my heart (sounds corny, but true), I still find it hard to look at him, let alone anything else.
Im thinking about leaving more and more, in fact I'm getting a bit obsessive about it, one of the main obstacles for me is my home, that I have worked so hard for (I have always worked full time and pulled my weight), Im scared of losing everything, i have older kids 1 at uni and another in high school, I don't want to leave them behind, as I love them dearly, but they may not want to leave their home.
I don't want to sound overly materalistic, but its a big thing, he won't leave, I know that for a fact, but I will have to walk away with nothing, thats a big deal, cause we are just average people. There are no big bucks or settlements on the horizon.
What to do ?