Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ItsmeAlice

My mother and I have both started using mobile vets and vets who make house calls (many do if you just ask). The pet gets seen in the privacy of it's home and doesn't have to undergo the anxiety of being taken from the house and riding in the car. The worst that they've endured is being carried or walked out to the mobile exam room in the driveway when needed.

I have one cat in particular who is an absolute wreck with anyone else in the house, even frequent guests and family. Where he used to stay hidden and upset all day after someone left, these days he's back out of hiding as soon as the door closes behind them and back to his chatty self. I wonder if he has learned that the scary bit is only temporary and his home remains his no matter who drops by.

Some vets add an extra fee for the house calls, but I find that is more than made up for when I consider the gas, trauma, time missed from work to go and wait at an office, and the anxiety I have when other pets are there waiting and mine get rowdy or even more upset. Since I work at home, visits are easy to fit in and routine stuff usually takes less than 20 minutes to have done.

Hope this helps!!

Alice