Thread: Binge Drinker
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
xvg

You're right, talk is cheap. There is no chemical need for alcohol and I've stopped before and felt great doing so. This time around, though, it feels different because I have consciously realized the problems this party mentality has caused me.

I know some people would say "no man, you're just young and single, you need to get this out of your system." But it's just not a lifestyle that brings any fulfillment. I feel like a completely different person when I go two weeks without hitting the bars with everyone and drinking to excess.

I've met so many girls this past year, but they've all been bar girls with various problems. I would rather meet one new girl every year at Starbucks than two new girls every weekend that have deep rooted issues. Do I want to date a girl who knows the bartenders and likes to "have fun"? Hell no! I would rather be just some normal single unknown guy at the gym with his headphones on than some kind of "cool" playboy who can brag about the hotties he has on his arm every other weekend.

So even if it isn't technically "alcoholism," it doesn't matter. It still causes problems and it doesn't get me to a good place. Do I need alcohol to function and have a great time? Hell no! I feel so much better waking up early on a Saturday morning, going to the gym and then enjoying the rest of a beautiful day. Why did I keep returning to it for so long? Because it's a mental thing. It was just what I did. No good reason to keep it up just because it has not caused any significant problems yet.

It feels great to come on here and make this declaration. I'll post an update in a week or two and tell you how much of an improvement my life has taken. Thank you all so much for listening to me come on here and talk about myself.