Thread: Binge Drinker
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 10:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
xvg

Binge Drinker

Hello everyone,

I'm 26 years old and have a habit of binge drinking. I'm probably over reacting a bit, but I've decided to cool down on the going out and partying thing. I've been doing this for 8 years and it's time to grow up and move on.

I have a whole social circle of friends that all we do is go out and drink every weekend. We don't ask what we are doing on Thursday-Saturday, we ask "where are we getting trashed tonight?" Sadly, I am probably the least involved member of this group of "friends." It's scary how hard we can all go and scary that there's a whole group of people doing the same exact thing. It will be going out and getting trashed, waking up on Sunday, going to the bar and getting hammered again on Sunday morning mimosa specials and bloody marys. I can't keep up with them as much, but when i do go out, I am probably one of the drunkest.

Anyways, I think it's time to stop because it's become a habit, even if only a weekend habit. I drink as quickly as possible and end up doing stupid things and acting like an *******. I'm blessed to get along with women well, but that's actually become a curse with this binge drinking thing. Now days, I'm waking up on weekends with a sense of dread, terrible hangovers and trying to put the pieces together. Mostly it's just involved me looking like an idiot, but I also recently took home a married woman while under the influence. I feel like complete **** and have completely gotten away from the morals and principals my parents raised me with.

I stopped going out with all my friends for a while a few months ago and it felt great. I took a few injuries, had to stop working out and got back to my old place of getting sloshed every weekend. It's time to get back on the horse. It's time to start going to church on Sunday mornings. It's time to stop spending $600+ a month on bar tabs.

I feel a little guilty maybe coming in here because I really haven't suffered any consequences yet. No cravings, no DUIs, injuries, accidents or anything other than putting myself in potentially dangerous situations. Big groups of people + alcohol + me being trashed is a recipe for disaster and it's just asking for something bad to happen. But I'm glad to know that I've recognized where this can go and have made a conscious decision to stop. There's no question that I'll stop.

So starting right now, I'm going to focus on myself. I'm going to wake up earlier on the weekends and do all my socializing earlier in the day and have productive nights. I'm not going to burn any bridges, but I'm going to step back from it all and do my own thing for a while. I'll get **** from my friends like i did last time and i'll spend more time alone, which sucks, but that's just what it's going to be until I build a new circle of non-party animals. I don't want to try to be high and mighty or anything, but I think it's time to alter my path just a tad.

Anyways, sorry to talk about myself so much, but it felt good to let it all out.