Thread: What To Do
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hayfmr

What To Do

I just found this site tonight so this is my first post. My wife of over 20 years is an alcoholic. Hs been one for most of our marriage although she was sober for about 8 years. 2 years ago she started drinking again when the kids started leaving home. She always bing drinks in seclusion. When she starts, she drinks herself to oblivia and the only reason she quits is because I starve her out. I am what you would call the opposite of an enabler. Been thru several programs. The last one was a month inpatient and cost us 30K. Worked for a few months. The kids are all grown and gone now and along with me thay have had it. Here is my dilema. I am ready for a divorce but since I own my own successful business a divorce would be winning the lotto for her. No one to make her quit drinking and enough money so the she would not have to work and could drink all she wanted. I am fully convinced that she would drink herself into oblivia. But thats the mother of my children destroying herself. So by being concerned about her welfare am I caring or codependent?