View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Kjell
i've done my almost

I had a great job, made lots of money, got to travel around the county and just really liked where I worked. I was also an alcoholic in serious denial and this eventually caught up to me and I was fired w/ 11 years of seniority. Before things started to go bad for me there, I told my boss and used our EAP program. They did everything they could, but I just couldn't stop drinking and they had to let me go. In the end, my boss was angry at me, my employees were REALLY angry at me, and I was so confused about what was going on. It got bad for everyone and it was best I didn't work there anymore. In hindsight, I see that now.

Now I'm working somewhere else and even though I've been sober for almost 10 months, getting sober took me almost a year and in that year I got my 2nd dui. I only mention this b/c I had to tell my current boss that even though I'm sober, I'm an alcoholic (they had NO idea), I'm about to go to jail for 5 days (for a dui I did a year ago) and I'll also need time off work to go see my PO and what not. They are 100% behind me and support me.

My point to all of this is - it's not going to matter if you can't get and stay sober. ...but get help if you need it. I never thought I'd be fired in my entire life and it sure as heck happened to me. One of the many things I can't believe I did

Kjell