Old 10-15-2010, 06:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
jamdls

Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
I'm sorry for probably asking a stupid question, but even me, being just over 2 months sober, can be serving by being at the meeting and sharing?
I only went to aa meeting for about a 4-6 weeks when I first quit drinking and I was asked to share at just about every meeting I went to, sometimes I declined but usually I shared something brief. One day I went to a lunchtime meeting which I'd never been to, there were few people there and only 1 other woman who sat in the back row with me. I had to leave about 10 minutes early to get back to work and was trying to slip out quietly, as I passed this young woman she said "you really helped me the other night", I looked around thinking she must be talking to someone else and said "excuse me?" she repeated herself and specifically mentioned part of my story. I was in total shock that I had helped someone! I left that room that day on cloud 9! knowing that something I said helped someone else was amazing, and 3 yrs later I still feel good about that! You never know what someone else might relate to, you just might save a life.