View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
abnheel

Originally Posted by dratsab View Post
Hello. I thought it would be nice to introduce myself.

I've avoided confronting my problems with addiction and substance abuse for the past 13 years. I either tried to convince myself that I could handle things on my own, or just tried to keep my usage so that it would't be so obvious that I had a problem. But the entire time, I knew deep down inside that I was struggling with addiction.

Through my addiction, I've somehow been able to find an amazing wife and a great job. But I've come to the point where I am at risk of losing both of them. And that is why I chose to finally deal with my addiction and entered into an intensive outpatient program.

I've been in my recovery program for a week now... and I'm learning a lot about addiction and about myself. I'm hopeful about my future. But I'm also a little scared about how things are really going to be in the long run. I'm just taking things day by day now.
drat: I hear exactly what you are saying. I met the woman of my dreams even though I was slowly slipping into a void that I couldn't stop. For a long time I wondered if something was wrong with me, but I just blamed others for my problems. As I look at it now, 2 months later, I couldn't believe that the day I realized my problem was a true blessing.

My anniversary was the 11th. My wife gave me a card that said she thought now, 2 months sober, we could begin our real honeymoon and be newlyweds all over again for the first time.

Good luck and hang in there!