View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
least
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere! If you can't start your sober journey today, start tomorrow. It'll be a brand new day and just perfect to start your sobriety. As to living without drinking... I too wondered what I'd do if I didn't drink. As it turns out, I can do anything I want to do and alcohol doesn't get in the way. It did take some changes to my way of thinking and living, but those changes were worth the effort and sacrifice it took.

Remember too that alcoholism is progressive. It will always get worse, it will never get better. By giving up alcohol you reduce or eliminate the risk and worry about bad things happening to you due to drinking. Health problems, legal problems, money problems - all are made worse by drinking and in lots of cases are brought on by drinking. So giving up drinking makes your life healthier and safer in lots of ways.

It might be a good idea to ask your doctor for help in quitting, in getting safely thru the withdrawals. And lasting sobriety takes a lot of effort and support. Do you have any plan(s) for staying sober? AA or another recovery program? Counseling? Outpatient therapy? No matter what you do, put your whole heart and soul into it - the results are worth the effort.

I'm coming up on a year sober (never thought I could do it) and am living a far better life in all respects. I'm not wasting money, time, or my health and I no longer wake up feeling like death warmed over and hating myself - again. Living sober rocks! Give yourself a chance to find this out for yourself.