View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sean4988 View Post
I'm fairly new to the program and have been working the steps. What a difference, the promises are coming true for me. I went to the doors of AA to stop drinking, period.

I spoke in a meeting yesterday on this and another old timer rebutted and said AA was about stop drinking, period, nothing else. He wouldn't be there if it wasn't. This may be his experience and opinion. I took slight offense to it but shouldn't have, it is none of my business. This is another character defect I need to work on.

I've found that my HP is the only one who has the power to help me stop drinking and remove my defects. I still have many and I work every day to try and have them removed. I know it's not easy but it is well worth it, I hope I have the strength to not let other opinions influence what is working for me so far. It's been a short time and I've had some major positive changes happen but I'm stay very cautious because of it. I'm a little afraid that my open mindness at this stage may take in some bad information also
Sean,

Great share, thanks. IMO, being open minded will never be a problem in itself, or lead you into greater dangers, please believe that. Sadly, some sorry members (including some old-timers) have closed their minds, and the fruits of their sobriety bear witness to their sorrows. They've become good examples of what not to do with alcoholism nonetheless, and so we have compassion on their lot, we help where we can, and we serve, and we move on with grace. Your taking slight offence, knowing its really from your own defects, and honestly dealing with your own difficulties and then moving on is wonderful, and a joy to hear. Live and let live.

Sadly, not all alcoholics will enjoy sobriety. Too many of our brothers and sisters continue to suffer from alcoholism, even those with many years of staying alcohol free. I have seen sober alcoholics do well for years, then have some horrible tragedy in their lives occur; and they never really get back to where they were. It happens all to often. They don't drink, but they don't really live sober spiritual lives either. They have given up, and yet they have not drank. How sad. I have nothing but compassion for such sorry alcoholics. Alcoholism is a horrible, cunning, powerful illness. I have that illness of alcoholism too, and so I'm always aware of how at risk I am of being lost myself if i don't stay spiritually healthy and fit.

Please completely embrace being open-minded, and do not fear being overwhelmed by others behaviours or opinions, for they shall be easily known by the fruits of their lives, and so you'll always be guided to do the right thing at the right time with help from your own HP. So be of good cheer! Trust your own honest open-minded journey and compassionately be of service to others as you can, and you'll never have to be yourself found lost in that terrible place of just exisiting, of being enslaved between "just not drinking" vs living (being) spiritually sober with an exciting and powerful free life just as was promised.

You're on the right path. Stay with it. Godspeed.

Robby