View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sean4988

Thought on meaning of AA

I'm fairly new to the program and have been working the steps. What a difference, the promises are coming true for me. I went to the doors of AA to stop drinking, period.

I found in the steps and turning my will over to my HP a different meaning of AA. In my opinion, AA is about the 12 steps and growing along spiritual lines along with a fellowship and to quite drinking. The main reason for my drinking I found was a symptom. When I got sober, I couldn't stand myself, ridden with self-hatred, resentments, judgements, negativity, remorse only to name a few. I had a sober problem! I ran and hid from problems by the escape of alcohol much of my life. I am learning now how to deal with these emotions, problems sober now where I never dealt with before and subsequently never grew or matured on.

I had a major VOID in my life and that void was my HP. So many things are changing for me after I am filling this void, my attitude, perceptions, defects of character are being removed, etc., just like promised. I have inner peace, not all of the time but sometimes and am working every 24 hours to keep it and grow along spiritual lines. I've heard so many others with a good amount of sobriety say that everything that happened to them, the living hell was the best thing that ever happened to them and it was a blessing. They are happier sober now than they have ever been. I don't want to just "stop drinking" and be miserable, suffering and white knuckling as I see some others are. I want to be recovered, content, happy and change who I am, a personality change.

I spoke in a meeting yesterday on this and another old timer rebutted and said AA was about stop drinking, period, nothing else. He wouldn't be there if it wasn't. This may be his experience and opinion. I took slight offense to it but shouldn't have, it is none of my business. This is another character defect I need to work on.

I've found that my HP is the only one who has the power to help me stop drinking and remove my defects. I still have many and I work every day to try and have them removed. I know it's not easy but it is well worth it, I hope I have the strength to not let other opinions influence what is working for me so far. It's been a short time and I've had some major positive changes happen but I'm stay very cautious because of it. I'm a little afraid that my open mindness at this stage may take in some bad information also