View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lola1024

OT: Mom Passed Away

My mom passed away in her home on Oct 7th. A few days after I came home she decided to discontinue dialysis treatment. She would have had to go to some type of nursing care full time for rehab from back fractures and she elected to end her life instead. She was in extreme pain due to the 4 new fractures found on her spine this last hospital stay - fractures from the cancer weakening her bones. My mom was a proud, independent, strong woman and she wanted her life to be at home or not at all. She lived 9 days after we brought her home - 5 of which were in a coma like state. My sister in law and myself had the privilege of caring for her while at home until she died. Hospice was wonderful to us.

An amazing parade of friends and family came and went - mom was in Alanon for many years and most of her close friends are from program. I have never seen such an outpouring of utter love in all my life. From those that read to her, played music for her and just held her hand. So many tears and so much joy combined. I am truly amazed at the number of lives my mother impacted.

We are holding a wake for her in the art gallery space of her building Saturday. She wants a celebration of her life not a funeral. I will fly back to CA on Sunday. I have to deal now with her loss - so deep I still do not even feel it hardly. My mom and my best friend are no longer with me in a physical sense. I am lost in ways I have never felt. I have to deal with her property and possessions at some time too. Scary stuff. Don't have a clue what to do but I will learn. My brother is also helping me a lot. Mom wanted the building to be used for the arts just not sure how to make that happen.

Thanks again for all the prayers sent to my family through this process. My mother would thank you if she could.