Thread: How Do you
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Evon

I would assess the situation, if it were going to be a big problem, I wouldn't go. I know my counselor has told me, when I asked her how I'd approach the situation, if there were people around me that didn't know I had a problem. She told me I didn't have to tell everyone my whole story (I don't like doing this because I don't want to sound preachy), she said you can just let people know, I had a problem with alcohol and choose not to drink. Simple as that. If it doesn't come up then there needs no mention.

I deal with it by telling myself that I'm the one with the problem and because I've made the right decision for me,anyone else's decision regarding alcohol is their business as long as it's not affecting me.If I'm feeling a certain way (bad feelings), I wouldn't want to be around drinking. I'd first make sure that you aren't threatening your recovery by putting your self in high risk situations. For some high risk situations are different, I can go to a club while another person would never want to step in one again for fear of drinking. I know for me ,the more I'm around the drink in a comfortable surrounding and not wanting to drink, the more I am able to say, I dont need to drink and I can have fun without it. The reason is, it is more rewarding for me to be sober than it is to be drunk.