Thread: Here we go...
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TeM

Angry Here we go...

I knew it was just a matter of time. AW finally injured herself... she fell and broke her ankle while drunk. Now the whole family gets to suffer the consequences of her alcoholism.

She's too heavy to use crutches, so we've set up the living room with a portable toilet and a wheelchair. I'm back at work today, keeping in touch by phone, but she seems to be okay left alone. Our daughter has a two hour break between classes and going to work, so she will check in at lunchtime.

We've put AW's booze in the garage where she won't be able to get to it until she's walking. I know we should toss it out, but the sad reality is that AW will just go buy more. Should I throw away $100 worth of liquor, knowing AW will replace it first chance she gets? We did that in the beginning... I threw two huge bottles of Jack Daniels in the trash the first time AW fell and broke her glasses. She quit for about two months, then started drinking again.

Daughter and I hope this will be the event which wakes AW up to the fact that she has a serious problem... the proverbial "hitting bottom", but so far she's not exhibiting much guilt or remorse, though she is very grateful and all sugary when I do things for her. It's going to be several weeks before she'll be able to get her hands on any alcohol, unless her "drinking buddy" girlfriend sneaks some to her when I'm not there. I have no idea whether a forced "drying out" will help or not.

AW is lying to her family and friends about what happened, telling them that her bad knee gave out and she tumbled. I have already told my boss and coworkers the truth, as well as my own family. I have made that small step forward, at least; refusing to lie for her.

I'm trying to be strong for daughter (18) and encouraging her to keep living her life. She seems a little resentful when asked to help, which I suppose is natural for someone her age. On the one hand, she is angry with her mom, but also gets angry at me when I get angry at her mom. She's obviously a bit conflicted, and I've encouraged her to visit Alateen websites and talk to her pastor about it.

I know that taking care of AW while she's laid up is a form of enabling, but we can't afford to put her in a nursing home or anything like that. So, I'm dealing with the cards we've been dealt the best way I know how.

I'm finally checking for Alanon meetings in our area; I figure it can't hurt, and I may get some ideas on what to do next. ( I know, I was told to do that when I first came here, but I've been in my own state of denial as to how quickly our situation would deteriorate to this point.)

Anyway, thanks for listening. This forum is quickly becoming a tether to the sane world for me.