View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
caribbean
Drunk in Recovery

Sometimes I relate to a lot of what other AAs share in a meeting, and other times I don't. When someone with a lower "bottom" than mine shares their story, I know that that could be my future if I don't stay sober. There have been times in my life when I've drank less and times when I drank more than I did when I quit. The thing is, I know that I do not really have control over when those times are going to be -- I just like to think I do.

A number of people I've met in the rooms have high "bottoms" like me, which helps me relate -- but they are not always the ones who share the most at meetings.

If AA meetings and the 12 steps (do you have a sponsor? are you working them?) help you to achieve your goal of not drinking, then maybe continue for a little while and see what happens. I have a feeling there is a lot more than meets the eye in AA to those of us new to recovery. OTOH, if you feel more alienated the more you go, it may not be the right thing to help you grow and get healthier. Only you can tell, through experimenting....