View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kmber2010

Renee - Job well done.

You absolutely did the right thing by posting here. I had in the beginning and some time into sobriety the thoughts of drinking. What kept me grounded and on track was not drinking and sharing here and working my recovery. I got to the point where if I saw a potentially triggering time that I would come here and talk about it. I still do!

Kinda funny since I don't use SR per se to help keep me sober anymore because I have the found the building blocks for a healthy, positive life in recovery....but I have a community here of folks that have taken this journey with me and I do come and share because folks here get it. I also hope that possibly my experience may help.

I did recover from a relapse but it wasn't because I felt I needed my life to get any worse then what it was....oh no...I knew the damage but what I didn't understand was that putting down the bottle and a few weeks of support was not enough for me. I didn't understand that alcoholics can not drink. I stopped coming to SR and stopped making positive change. I got so caught up in feeling good that I thought I was ok. Had I continued on with support and took the time to read and learn about this thing called recovery then I would've learned so much more and better prepared to handle the thoughts of drinking.

As far as rock bottom goes....for me it is a state of mind. Everyone is different and has their own reason for saying enough is enough just like their own reasons for starting to drink.

What I will say for myself is that my relapse was rock bottom. I say that now because I am alive, I am sober, and I am here to share. Now I came oh so close to a dangerous place where it could've been the end. No one here would know that was my rock bottom because I wouldn't be around to talk about it. Get what I am saying?

Just my thoughts on what I went through.

I am so glad you shared.