View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by looking4help1 View Post
I talked to her about AA yesterday, there is one here, but she is not keen saying it is too religious, maybe because the meeting point is at the church. But she has never gone. What would be a good way to encourage her to go?
That is an excuse to keep drinking. She is not ready to quit. period. Her actions have shown that she is not willing to get and stay sober.

I'm sorry.

Welcome to the SR family. I am glad you are here seeking information and support for yourself. You will find loads of wisdom and experience. Some of our stories are in the sticky (permanent) posts at the top of this forum.

Your AW (alcoholic wife) has to choose sobriety for herself. She has to want it more than her marriage, home, and children. Until she is ready to find recovery, there isn't anything you can do or say to get her sober. I know, I tried with my spouse. I also know because I am a recovering alcoholic, and a mom.

Your AW's addiction belongs to her. She is an adult. Her sobriety belongs to her. Her choices. You have mentioned AA, and she has refused. That is all you can do. Saying anything more or nagging is an attempt at control.

I learned about the three C's of my spouse's addiction through SR:

I did not cause it
I can not control it
I will not cure it

This is a link to a sticky post. It contains steps that some of us have taken in dealing with our loved ones addiction:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html

Please keep reaching out for support for yourself as you recover from living with addiction. We are here to support you.