View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

Do you pay her credit cards? I would recommend you stop that if that's the case. If she maxes out her cards on booze, I'm not quite sure what you can do short of shutting them down. I know that in a lot of places, because you are married, you'd be responsible for her debt. Have you examined your bank and credit card statements lately? Is there a drain in your finances due to alcohol purchases?

IMO, this is a perfect opportunity for you to become more involved in the way the money is managed around the house. Time to sit down with bank statements, credit card statements and utility bills to actually examine your finances. Perhaps you also need to open up a separate account and start putting money there in case you need an exit strategy.

As for your kids, I'm sorry to say that at the age of 11 and 13, they probably already have an inkling of what's going on. My stepson was 6 when I met him, and he was 12 when I left his father. He was 9 or so when he pleaded with his father not to smoke or drink anymore. He was 11 when he asked me why his dad HAD to drink all the time. He was 12 when I introduced him to Al-Anon. Perhaps you could open the lines of communication with your kids and see if they have things to say; you don't need to force the issue or make a huge conversation out of this. Just let them know that if they are curious, angry, frustrated, scared or sad, you're there.

Have you considered individual counselling for yourself? You really do need support to get through something like this...Also, doing something like this will take the focus off HER and what she's doing/not doing, and bring it back on you. You kids need you to be healthy.