Thread: What about me??
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Empathetic
Emp

But he'll be back right?

I get what you're going through tho. Let me shine some perspective on it if I may. I have a friend whose wife is bulimic. Anyway, he spent years holding her up through the depression and the ups and downs. He never pressured her or tried to tell her how to live her life, although inside he felt like screaming and crying at her as he watched her physical and emotional health decline. Finally she went to a rehab centre for eating disorders and came out a brand new woman.

Bu my friend, he was broken, and for a very long time he couldn't figure out why. Then, he spoke to me (doing a psychology minor) and after a long discussion, I think I might have pinpointed the problem and it sounds to me like you're going through very much the same thing.

See, like my friend, you held your partner up all this time. You've had to look after him and be the strong one, and now you're feeling abandoned ... but are you sure that is what you're feeling ... because here's the way it looks to me (and naturally I could be wrong).

This is how it was for my friend. Yes he supported his wife, yes he held her up all those years, yes he'd always wanted her to get help, and yes she finally did and she got better. He couldn't understand why the made him so emotionally broken. But I think we worked it out. It's not that you're not happy for your partner for getting help. The problem, I believe, is that you're hurt that you couldn't fix him.

That's how it was for my friend. He was like, 'how can it be possible, I totally devoted my life to her, everything i could possibly do to make things easier, I did. I gave her everything of me, loved her with everything I had, sacrificed everything I could. But she ... she did not love ME enough to return the favour. She did not love ME enough to sacrifice HER addictions for me.'

So sure, your partner has now sailed off into the sunset to get help. He'll probably get out in a few months and be a changed man. And your subconscious mind is like, 'Sweet, so he can change and get better for a bunch of complete strangers, but he couldn't find the love in his heart to do it for me.'

Anyway, like I said, I don't really have enough of the facts to say this is what you're going through conclusively, but it sure sounds like it. You probably wanted to be the one to fix him. The one person important enough to do so. But you couldn't. And someone else can. And for that you're hurting. On some level I suppose it's like the way you'd feel if you found out he was cheating. You couldn't satisfy him in the bed ... but someone else could. You feel cheated.

Anyway, take from that whatever you will, that's juts how it was for my firend, and only maybe you're going through something similar.

Just try to remind yourself that you are not a professional psychologist or doctor (as far as I know) and even if you were, it's very rare that family can make an impact on an addict. It often takes a stranger, so that people can fully explore themselves without fearing judgement and set themselves free.

Emp