Thread: Peace, Serenity
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I find it'll come and go but that's not the nature of that feeling....it's because of me. What I mean is that feeling can stay, and stay a long time, IF we remain in fit spiritual condition. What happens in my life though, is that I take myself off the spiritual path - either one of my defects goes unchecked, I get lazy, I get interested in some material thing or......anything really..... I just take my eye off the ball and focus on something else. For a little while, I still feel ok....but sometimes I stay away too long. I make whatever this new thing is my new Higher Power. It gets the bulk of my attention. It becomes my primary purpose. It starts to dominate my thoughts. Eventually.....it hits me that I feel like garbage. I didn't fall off any pink cloud - I just put a bunch of crap that's NOT God in the way of my relationship WITH God and ya know what, that doesn't feel so good. So.....because of this pain......I start to reorganize my priorities, I try my best to put God at the top again, and I start to feel better again.

With a lot of practice, I've gotten much better at catching myself sooner.....but I still get off the path sometimes - usually without even knowing it. These "cycles" of being on and off and back on the path used to REALLLLLY upset me. I used to get soooo down on myself for "letting it happen again" that just the self-imposed self-centered anger at myself would keep me separated even lonnnnnger.......so I'd hurt even more. Now, I've finally realized that expecting to stay connected to God 100% of the time and expecting there never to be any separations is, once again, MY expectation, my ego, my control and, interestingly enough, ME playing God in my false belief that I can control my connectedness to God all the time (if that makes any sense ).

There are ebbs and flows, tide coming in and tide coming out. IF you feel that feeling has started to slip away be grateful. Be glad that you noticed it, that you felt it, and start looking at how you're living he program to find where the corrections need to be made. This is when a sponsor comes in really handy and when having multiple acquaintances who really know you in the program comes in handy - ask one of them and really listen to what they say. I'd bet you're like me - it's a whoooooole lot easier to spot areas of trouble in others than it is to see them in yourself. Ask God, lean on the fellowship, then take corrective action.

.....and if all that doesn't seem to work (or work quickly enough for you) - go help another drunk, and it'll come to you.