View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
azkatz

Originally Posted by nodaybut2day View Post
Trust your already awesome instinct: you felt the need for space. Go with that. Give No Contact a try and see what comes of it for you.
My instinct is not that keen. I feel like I'm suffocating not being with him. I'm crying constantly and can't stop wishing he were here holding me. My head starts thinking "if this is the right thing to do then why does it hurt so much!".

I know my father was an alcoholic and had to drink every day. When he didn't drink he got the shakes. Never saw him drunk but always saw him with a beer in his hand.

My fiance's drinking was more social. What I observed his stress from day to day was building and things that were out of his control would get to him and by the time the weekend came he would have a few drinks thinking it would relax him but if the stress level he built up was too much for him the drinking would create a timebomb inside him and he would say/do things that were very embarrassing - in front of our friends too! The next day after doing something that embarrassed me I would confide in him how I felt and he would say he was just joking that he didn't mean anything by it.

Would my fiance be considered an alcoholic then if he doesn't drink daily?

We were going to counseling and the therapist recommended him take Welbutrin that he's been taking for about 2 months now. Doesn't seem to do anything when he drinks though.

Thanks to you all for sharing your stories and the reading advice I'm going to research now. Just being able to talk about what I'm going through with neutral people instead of my friends who all seem so judgemental is very comforting. Thanks again!