View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Supercrew

I might be different than most, but drinking is the problem. I loved to drink, and then drinking caused the problems and created the depression. I drank to have fun, to mourn, to party, to be alone, to pay my bills etc. The problem was I have alcoholic tendencies, so when I drank I drank until I was drunk always. I have thought long and hard about this over the years, but I can honestly say that any major problems I have encountered in life were due to my drinking, not the other way around. Drinking was the cause.

As far as the chemical dependency vs addiction. I see the difference because I have a very addictive personality. So my addictive personality rolls over to whatever I am doing at the time, whether it be alcohol or chewing tobacco, food, workingout, reading, golf....you name it, if I like it I will fixate on it and continue it with a vengence. Once I get in that mindset I have a hard time changing direction with anything. It works very well if the action is something positive in my life, but it could be deadly if it is something that is detrimental to my health.