View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
crystal226

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
Please consider finding a recovery meeting while you're there. Has your mom has done her own recovery work? I ask because if not, she might complicate issues for you. My situation is not the same as yours, but my mom is the last person I need input/advice from and she's a certified substance abuse counselor. From what I can gather, she's just started doing some recovery work of her own and she's 72.

I agree with 2day about giving yourself the gift of time. It was kind of hard for me to learn to manage my most immediate and important needs. I had to figure out what they were first.
I agree and I am going to a meeting. I found one on Thursday evening I plan on attending. I am nervous to go, but I know it will be worth my time. And, no, my mom has not done her own recovery (at least not in any formal way). She did leave my father for a year when he was heavy into meth use, but she also lived with my fathers cocaine/crack addiction and the abuse associated with it for 10 years and I don't really trust her advice. My father is also living with her and he is sober, 5 years now, but that is also complicated for me. The problem is I don't have anywhere else to stay. I have been staying home with my kids for the last 5 years and I'm working on getting financial aid going and starting school again, but right now I don't have anything. All my credit cards are maxed and the money in the bank is just the bare minimum to pay bills. Fortunately, I have food stamps, but I am headed to my mom's with little else. It is difficult for me deciding to stay there, but I feel I need to stay somewhere because I can't seem to think clearly around my husband right now and I need to reset and be somewhere I can think for myself. Unfortunately, right now with my two kids staying with my parents is my only choice. I recognize, though, that if I choose not to go back to live with my husband I can't live with my parents either. I left home because of my dad's meth addiction...he and I have made amends and it has really been great the way our family has healed from the past, but I still know that I can't go back to being under their roof either.