Thread: AA dilemma
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 06:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Music

Truth be known, I've never been to prison let alone spent a night in jail but that doesn't mean I shouldn't have. It just means I didn't get caught. I think most of us, if we were entirely honest about our past, have done things that could be considered anti-social, and even really gross to some people. AA is its own little society made up(as someone already mentioned)of a cross section of our society as a whole. We don't come to AA in the greatest shape mentally, physically and spiritually which is the point. I don't consider it to be "rude" or "mean-spirited" to take someone aside when these situations come up and let the person know their behavior isn't tolerated, because we're all vulnerable to one extent or another when we first come to AA. It takes time to re-habit ourselves so that we can display acceptable behavior and like we say, "some quickly, some slowly." There are ways to deal with these situations that don't have to include going off the deep end. We live in supposedly the most tolerant, forgiving society in the world but nowadays it seems people can be branded for the least little thing. Don't forget, most of us came to AA from roaming the bars, saloons and night clubs looking for an easy target to conquer. It takes time and guidance from those of us who've been around for a while and have learned new behaviors, to pass the message on and unfortunately, the only way to know who to pass the message on to is by identifying the problem and the person and dealing with it. These things should be handled discretely unless the person insists on continuing the behavior at which point, there are other options. Problem is, we tend to be a reactionary lot and deal in "knee-jerk" solutions. Easy Does It.