Thread: AA dilemma
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Not for anything but, the rooms of AA and NA for that matter isnt exactly the most stable cross section of society. That being said, what ever anybody did in the past is exactly that, the past. I for one have quite an extensive criminal history. I always have been honest about my past since I have been sober.Who are we to judge anyone that wants help? For some reason a story about "glass houses and stones" comes to mind. Hmmm. Just sayin.....

PS. Thats my prison mugshot
I'm with ya bro.

I don't have that big of a record...dui's and that's about it....but my first mentor in AA was a dude with a rap sheet that would choke a stable of horses - and not little stuff either: home invasion, multiple armed robberies, assault with deadly weapons, attempted murder, trafficking, and about a thousand smaller charges. He WAS a baaaaad dude. A real gangster for sure. To meet him now, you'd NEVER know it. I find it hard to believe sometimes. Of course, 30 yrs sobriety has been good to him.

Anyway, back to the subject... my first thought was: kicking him out will only be tossing your group's problem (this guy) on another group to deal with. Wouldn't the better solution be to have a couple members sit him down and explain that he's more than welcome to stay BUT that this specific behavior: x, y and z will NOT be tolerated and will result in some penalties. Isn't it possible that he's just acting creepy because he doesn't know how to not act creepy.....yet? I'm not saying ignore what you know......but maybe dealing with him directly is the better solution.