Old 09-28-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
keithj

For the recovered person, who has had a spiritual awakening as the result of the Steps, or some other kind of spiritual experience sufficient to overcome alcoholism, it doesn't matter whether we consider that I still don't have a choice, but no choice is necessary, OR my sanity is restored and I can make a sane choice not to drink. The end result is the same.

That pg 24 quote is aimed at the non-recovered person, right in the middle of the mental obsession discussion. For that person, they have no choice in whether or not they drink. The are in the grip of a peculiar insanity, from which they have no effective mental defense. And part of that insanity is the delusion that they have control. The delusion that they have a choice in the matter instead of being driven by a mental obsession over which they are powerless.

That was my experience exactly. I had every reason not to drink, tons of motivation to not drink, and an honest, sincere desire to not drink. And I would drink anyway. I lacked the power to stay away from the first drink. Simple. When I got some power in my life as the result of a spiritual awakening and an effective contact with a power greater than myself, I could stay away from the first drink with very little effort.

My personal 'take' is that I still don't have a choice. The problem has been removed and a choice is not necessary. But that's just how I experience this contact with God. That's how it 'feels' to me. It's not an interpretation of the BB, but an experience of my own.

I do think that we can do a hell of a lot of harm to the newcomer by telling him that he can choose not to drink. It's just going to keep him locked into the delusion that he has some power.

Originally Posted by Maki View Post
Hi! I'm new to SR and was just reading about the 2 terms, real alcoholic and heavy drinker. This seems like a gray area to me. Can you explain the difference to me please??
It might be a grey area in other circles, but in AA talk, it pretty clearly explained on bottom of pg20, top of pg 21. The hard drinker can quit or moderate if given sufficiently good reason, such as health trouble, new relationship, legal problems, etc. The real alcoholic can not stop on a non-spiritual basis.

At some point, the line is crossed into alcoholism as the big book describes, and the most powerful, sincere desire to stop is of absolutely no use to us. We've placed ourselves beyond human aid.